the narrations of my loong sail
-
260426_02 Approach to Hachijoshima
Read more: 260426_02 Approach to HachijoshimaN 31° 44.245 E 138° 49.136 It was clear that we can’t make it into the kaminato-gyokou, the kaminato-fishery harbor, with an approach from S. The wind would not turn S in time. The first thought is to go around the northern part of the island. This could become tricky when we have to head…
-
260426 Zick-zack course
Read more: 260426 Zick-zack courseN 31° 46.791 E 138° 57.163 Yesterday morning all started fine. The cold front passed and we could sail fully N to get distance from the cold front behind us. However, then the wind increased. I needed to change course towards W increasing the AWA to 115 deg The genoa reefed to 2 bars (40%…
-
260425 Stop over at Hachijoshima
Read more: 260425 Stop over at HachijoshimaN 30° 18.976 E 141° 36.278 Hachijoshima is an island about 180 NM south of Yokohama. Although MaRe runs, with a small reef in the genoa with reef 2 in the main, still with STW peaks above 9 KN, ŵe will not make it until Yokohama before the wind turns on to our nose. So…
-
260424_02 Change of strategy
Read more: 260424_02 Change of strategyN 28° 10.160 E 142° 10.229 As the wind doesn’t follow the forecast at all, we discussed the situation. We still don’t go directly to Sofu Gan, the impressive rock needle, coming out of the ocean with it’s vertical wall from very deep. I saw it once in 1994 on a sail from Guam to…
-
260424 Patience of a saint is needed
Read more: 260424 Patience of a saint is neededN 27° 58.718 E 142° 08.348 From midnight on winds of 15-20 KN were forecasted in all 4 models. However, the wind did not obey the forcast and we still have winds just below 15 KN. This is an unpleasant situation because we can fly the Big Blue only up to 15 KN. So we…
-
260423 We are sailing again
Read more: 260423 We are sailing againN 27° 05.920 E 142° 09.350 Left after lunch Futami Harbor. Now we already out and Nishi-Jima is already abeam on STB. TWD is good, TWS could be a bit more but according to forecast the wind speed should increase. We are sailing with genoa opened with barber hauler at an AWA of 150 deg…
-
260421 Chichi-Jima
Read more: 260421 Chichi-JimaIn 1994 I was the first time on Chichi-Jima. That time I came as crew member of a Japanese yacht on the way from Guam to Tokyo. Since then I wanted to come back again. Now, 32 years later I came back as the skipper of my own boat, the sailing catamaran MaRe, on my…
-
260419_02 Want to stay and want to depart
Read more: 260419_02 Want to stay and want to departThe typhoon is gone. The wind is just very gentle. Temperature is pleasant during the day and bit cool during the night. All this makes the stay here in Chichi-Jima very comfortable. This morning (Sunday!!!) I had a non emergency appointment with my doctor. The treatment here is excellent. Back on MaRe, I had to…
-
260419 The Admiral
Read more: 260419 The AdmiralAll people who sailed with me heard me talking about the “Admiral” called friend of mine, Thomas. He accompanied me to Croatia when I bought MaRe. He was my coach when I needed training to steer MaRe in the narrow space between two other boats in Simuni marina. He also sailed with me and other…
-
260418_03 A walk through the village
Read more: 260418_03 A walk through the villageN 27° 05.926 E 142° 12.012 On Thursday, after MaRe was fully prepared for the upcoming typhoon we walked into village. We wanted to look around, get some cash, Tobi and Shigeo wanted to buy it rent a fishing rod to catch squids, and walk up to a an observation platform. I bumped into a…
