the narrations of my loong sail
-
251114_Sail change, sail change, and then sail change
Read more: 251114_Sail change, sail change, and then sail change**… over and over again…. We are changing sails several times a day. I don’t know anymore how many today. Not all are documented in the logbook. As forsails we used so far the genoa and the 8 m2 jib. As main sail we used reef 2, reef 1 and no reef (what i call…
-
251113_02 … and the wind came!
Read more: 251113_02 … and the wind came!After being frustrated from wind around “no wind” the wind decided to become a better guy. I pulled up the last sail possible, the 8 m2 storm jib, which I normally use for easier tacking as it functions as a guiding surface for the genoa. I never could confirm how much speed this sail brings…
-
251113 Will the wind come?
Read more: 251113 Will the wind come?S 13° 25.731 E 168° 05.936 Although we could gain back the distance we lost the day while drifting in an early hours wind of 1 – 2 Bft and changed from reef 2 (safety size of main sail during night hours) to full main sail, we are not really moving forward much. The wind…
-
251112_04 Yellow fin tuna sushi
Read more: 251112_04 Yellow fin tuna sushiLast night, Tobi took a big effort to make sushi from the yellow fin tuna, he caught the other day. He made even “makisushi’, rolled sushi without having a “makisu”, the little bamboo mat needed to make “makisushi”. I’m am very spoild with excellent sushi rice made by my OBM and from good sushi places…
-
251112_03 Drifting again
Read more: 251112_03 Drifting againS 13° 27.731 E 168° 06.328 Although slow, we made progress while sailing in the very low wind. However, there’s a limit for every wind and now we are drifting again. If the weather forecast (ECMWF) is right, this will continue until tomorrow with some short weak wind periods in between. On Friday it is…
-
251112_02 Speed record of the day
Read more: 251112_02 Speed record of the day251112_02 Speed record of the dayWhile we had breakfast I watched the wind indicator. This gave me the feeling that we might be able to sail. Some sketches of wind and resulting sailing directions and I got convinced we can move at least slowly forward with a sufficient directional NNW component. However I’m also aware…
-
251112 Adrift
Read more: 251112 AdriftS 13° 30.561 E 168° 09.295 At 0700 I decided we go adrift. Wind is blowing weakly on our nose. Even when using the mileage efficient single engine propulsion, we can’t motor much longer to have more than 1/2 tank diesel left for safety reasons. The wind is, with typically 3 – 5 KN, too…
-
251111_03 A yellow fin tuna
Read more: 251111_03 A yellow fin tunaS 14° 14.889 E 167° 48.722 Catching a small yellow coin tuna, was the best of this frustrating day with no wind. At around 1545, i just talked with my OBM via Signal, when the sound of the bite alarm went off. Tobi took the rod, to fight the fish. I brought him the fighting…
-
251111_02 Change of tactics
Read more: 251111_02 Change of tacticsS 14° 30.602 E 167° 39.113 I first tried to be fast enough to reach the area with wind while running both engines. As the latest wind forecast indicated that this is not possible, I stopped the PRT engine and run only with the STB engine. About half the fuel but still 2/3 of the…
-
251111 Not enough wind
Read more: 251111 Not enough windS 14° 48.471 E 167° 30.817 I knew we will be in calm area when we leave Luganville and we will only get wind when we are sufficiently away from Espritus Santos Island, the island of Luganville. Partially we could use the genoa to pull some additional speed. However, for most of the time wind…
