This morning, we wanted to leave comfortably at 0800. All preparations were running. However, suddenly the anchor alarm went off. A quick look and I first considered that the alarm went off because I did not get the anchor position well enough. As the wind was pretty strong I made the instant decision to get the anchor up and leave for deeper water. Safety decision without analyzing what really is the cause for the alarm.
Once we were out in deep (40 – 50 m) water I went on course to the WPT SW of Qiurquirdup at the more eastern side of the Cayos Hollandes. And then we got rain again. All 3 Panama Canal locks opened their gates the same time. It was not too far away from a white-out. Radar showed the rain front is about 4 – 6 NM “thick”. So I let MaRe run with only 2.5 KN, to have time to react if needed.
After all was on track, we changed into dry clothes. I put on my “Dirty Hansen” (my not cleanable Helly Hansen) foul weather gear. The others prepared breakfast. I had mine behind the steering wheel, the others at the table with the PRT side of the cockpit enclosure down. Waves, a short swell built up quickly with almost a meter height. But MaRe made her way along the plotter route in early direction.
After about an hour all became better again.
When we arrived, we saw 2 catamarans running full speed in the same direction. They assumed we too are heading for the swimming pool anchorage. However i wanted to go to the anchorage at the WSW area of Banedup. But it turned out that there was no space for safe anchoring of 2 boats. The French boat’s anchor was where I wanted to drop MaRe’s anchor. So I decided to try to find a spot on the west side of the open “bay”. The area between the islands Banedup in the E, Ogoppiradup in the W, and Calubir in the N.
It took maybe another hour until I found a safe place to drop the hook at 10 m and had 60 m rode (anchor chain) out. Pulling back with 1500 RPM showed the anchor holds.
Then all slowed down on the boat. I wrote my log book, and the other 3 digged into their books again.
However after an hour or so, a squall came dumping water and brought winds of 5 Bft. Anchor hold perfectly fine. A short interruption of the tranquility at anchor with the sound of the waves at the other reef as back ground music.
